Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Using Skype


After I posted my May 16, 2006 entry titled Skype Users Can Now Call Land Lines for Free, I decided to give the Skype service a try. I've tried other "free" PC-to-Landline VOIP services in the past (Yahoo Messenger being the most recent) but was always less than impressed with the quality of service. However, after only a few short days, I'm pleasantly surprised with what I've found. I've made all calls from a laptop running Windows XP, connected to the internet via a wireless 802.11g Linksys broadband router and standard BellSouth DSL (1.5mbps down/256kbps up). I'm also using a Plantronics Audio 90 Headset connected to the laptops built-in microphone/earphone jacks. Sound quality has been excellent and I've yet to have a dropped call. The other parties I've called report excellent sound quality on their end as well, although, one did say there seemed to be a tiny amount of "lag" (for lack of a better term) at the beginning of the call. The only "problem" encountered so far seemed to be related to the new "free" calls to land-line phones feature I reported on in the post mentioned above. I had just made and ended a successful call to a land-line phone and when I attempted to immediately place another call to a different land-line phone, the call would not go through and I received an error message saying that I had to purchase SkypeOut credit to call "real" phone numbers. I made several more unsuccessful attempts to dial the number, all ending with the same error message. Finally, I closed the Skype client, restarted it, dialed the number and the call completed without any further problems. Hopefully, this is just a small glitch they will correct in the days to come. As it stands now, I can whole heartedly recommend giving the service a try.

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home